Criterial Knowing That
'Criterial knowing that' is mental structures for rational judgment of kinds of objects and their relationships according to a norm.
S knows the criteria of that Q if and only if
(George Maccia, cited in Frick [1997, p. 113]).
- S believes that Q.
- S is in a position to know that Q.
- S correctly believes that Q.
- S presents a justificatory argument to establish the credibility of criteria of that Q.
- S demonstrates the relevancy and fruitfulness of criteria of that Q.
- Q is a state of affairs.
- T knows that the above conditions hold in order that S knows the criteria of that Q.
See further explication and examples.